Compilation Error: ORBIT_LIBS (aclocal problem).

Hi All,

I have tried everything I can think of before mailing the list. I would now appreciate some help on two problems.

I spent a good six hours going through the documentation and trying again
and again. I know exactly what the problem is, but alas, I cannot solve it.
I have collected all the source from CVS (last updated last night).

The first problem is with ORBIT_LIBS. It is undefined when I try and build gnome-libs.

All the libraries I have compiled so far have put a file (imlib.m4), (gtk+.m4) etc
into /usr/local/share/aclocal.
These I gather are supposed to give dependent builds information on the library location and other such
information. I started reading the aclocal docs but they didn't yield much info to help me quickly. (inside of a week).

gnome-libs does not contain an aclocal.m4 file.
There are some suggestions there on how to create one, which I did.

cat /usr/local/share/gettext.m4 >> aclocal.m4
cat /usr/local/share/lsmessage.m4 >> aclocal.m4
cat /usr/local/share/progtest.m4 >> aclocal.m4
cat /usr/share/local/libtool.m4 >> aclocal.4
I am sure there is a quicker way, but I checked the file each time. I know it was working.

This then gives me two errors ORBIT_LIBS, and GTK_IMLIB_LIBS
cat /usr/local/share/imlib.4 >> aclocal.m4
and I am down to one, namely ORBIT_LIBS.

I cannot find the correct .m4 file to use here. The ORBit complile is
successful, but I cannot find any .m4 file for it. How do I create one? Is
there an error when it does not create one?
I am 99.9% certain that ORBit did not give me any make or make install errors.
I looked quite carefully at all the output.

My next question is this.

I installed redhat (5.2) , and had glib (or GTK - cannot remember - 'it's
not important to the question) already installed on the machine. There are a
lot of programs that are dependent. I got errors about duplicate symbols
early on in the build (I think with imlib). I then renamed
/usr/share/aclocal/glib.m4 (or gtk+.m4), thus rendering it useless for the
build process. I added ACLOCAL_FLAGS as well so that the build would check
in /usr/local/share/aclocal. Things proceeded perfectly, with the builds now
using the libraries in /usr/local/share/aclocal, rather than the
pre-installed /usr/share/aclocal.

The builds have been going fine up until the ORbit problem, but I have a
niggling feeling in the back of my mind that these builds will end up
running against an incorrect version of the libraries. Since I have actually
rebuilt the libraries - how do I remove the pre-installed redhat libaries
without removing all the dependencies, which should work with the libraries
I have built. If they don't, then tough, I want to get gnome working,
I don't give a flying &^^&** about the other apps, as long as my ppp script and netscape works, I am happy.

Thankx.
Regards
PS: Your help is much appreciated.
-craig.