Re: solaris port (0.30)

> Has anybody had any luck getting gnome to run on Solaris?  I'd like to
> give it a whirl and was wondering if anybody knew how
> possible/impossible of an undertaking this would be.  Thanks,
>
> --
> Tommy Reilly                         | "He who desires but acts not,
> tpr@neog.com                         |  breeds pestilence."
> http://www.cu.neog.com/~tpr          |            -Blake
>

> --

I have a considerable part of GNOME-0.30 running on my Solaris box. The main
 problem is having to install a large number of GNU utils that GNOME takes for
 granted. Some of these replace existing Solaris utils with slightly modified
 behaviour ! (these were tricky to find).

Once I got these utils installed things went quite well. I had to hack around
 with various bits and pieces and some of it still doesn't work. I got enough
 working to have fun. If you want more I am sure thereis enough expertise on
 this list to point you in the right direction.

I enclose :

The BUILD script I used for each package. You'll need to fool around with the
 variables a bit to suit yourself, and install all the pakages I used somewhere
 - most of them come from the GNU repository. (you can substitute emacs for
 xemacs if you like. Gnome only uses some tiny util from it's distrib, not emacs
 itself).

A list of problems I encountered, and some fixes... - very sketchy...

I haven't tried with a recent snapshot so I couldn't tell you if things are
 getting better or worse.

Let me know how you get on - if you know your way around Solaris, this will take
 you about a day....

Jules

TOOLSHOME=/data/tecindev/tools/jules
PACKAGES=$TOOLSHOME/packages
GNOMEHOME=$TOOLSHOME/gnome
OPENWINHOME=/usr/openwin/bin

PATH=.
PATH=$PATH:$GNOMEHOME/bin
PATH=$PATH:$OPENWINHOME/bin
PATH=$PATH:$PACKAGES/make-3.76.1/bin
PATH=$PATH:$PACKAGES/gcc-2.8.1/bin
PATH=$PATH:$PACKAGES/binutils-2.8.1/bin
PATH=$PATH:$PACKAGES/indent-1.9.1/bin
PATH=$PATH:$PACKAGES/flex-2.5.4/bin
PATH=$PATH:$PACKAGES/bison-1.25/bin
PATH=$PATH:$PACKAGES/libpng-1.0.1/bin
PATH=$PATH:$PACKAGES/netpbm/bin
PATH=$PATH:$PACKAGES/xpm-3.4j/bin
PATH=$PATH:$PACKAGES/zip/bin
PATH=$PATH:$PACKAGES/zlib-1.0.7/bin
PATH=$PATH:$PACKAGES/sh-utils-1.16/bin
PATH=$PATH:$PACKAGES/sed-3.02/bin
PATH=$PATH:$PACKAGES/gettext-0.10/bin
PATH=$PATH:$PACKAGES/m4-1.4/bin
PATH=$PATH:$PACKAGES/gawk-3.0.3/bin
PATH=$PATH:$PACKAGES/xemacs-20.4/bin
PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin
PATH=$PATH:/usr/ccs/bin
PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
export PATH

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$GNOMEHOME/lib
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$OPENWINHOME/lib
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$PACKAGES/flex-2.5.4/lib
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$PACKAGES/bison-1.25/lib
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$PACKAGES/libpng-1.0.1/lib
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$PACKAGES/netpbm/lib
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$PACKAGES/libungif-3.0/lib
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$PACKAGES/xpm-3.4j/lib
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$PACKAGES/zip/lib
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$PACKAGES/zlib-1.0.7/lib
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$PACKAGES/gettext-0.10/lib
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$PACKAGES/xemacs-20.4/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

CPPFLAGS="\
	-I$GNOMEHOME/include \
	-I$OPENWINHOME/include \
	-I$PACKAGES/libpng-1.0.1/include \
	-I$PACKAGES/libungif-3.0/include \
	-I$PACKAGES/xpm-3.4j/include \
	-I$PACKAGES/zip/include \
	-I$PACKAGES/zlib-1.0.7/include \
	-I$PACKAGES/netpbm/include \
	-I$PACKAGES/gettext-0.10/include \
	-I$PACKAGES/xemacs-20.4/include \
	"
export CPPFLAGS

LDFLAGS="\
	-R$GNOMEHOME/lib \
	-R$OPENWINHOME/lib \
	-R$PACKAGES/libpng-1.0.1/lib \
	-R$PACKAGES/libungif-3.0/lib \
	-R$PACKAGES/xpm-3.4j/lib \
	-R$PACKAGES/zip/lib \
	-R$PACKAGES/zlib-1.0.7/lib \
	-R$PACKAGES/netpbm/lib \
	-R$PACKAGES/gettext-0.10/lib \
	-R$PACKAGES/xemacs-20.4/lib \
	\
	-L$GNOMEHOME/lib \
	-L$OPENWINHOME/lib \
	-L$PACKAGES/libpng-1.0.1/lib \
	-L$PACKAGES/libungif-3.0/lib \
	-L$PACKAGES/xpm-3.4j/lib \
	-L$PACKAGES/zip/lib \
	-L$PACKAGES/zlib-1.0.7/lib \
	-L$PACKAGES/netpbm/lib \
	-L$PACKAGES/gettext-0.10/lib \
	-L$PACKAGES/xemacs-20.4/lib \
	"
export LDFLAGS

CC="gcc -ggdb3"
export CC

#sh autogen.sh --prefix=$GNOMEHOME
./configure --prefix=$GNOMEHOME

make all install && echo "************  YES *******************"

mc
--
achown.c and others not in mc/gnome/ but mc/source

xml
---
./install-sh -c -m 644 .libs/libxml.so.0.0.0 /data/tecindev/tools/jules/gnome/lib/libxml.so.0.0.0
./libtool: ./install-sh: cannot execute
make: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1

gnome-libs
----------
db.h problematic

libxml
------
install-sh needs to be chmod +x

imlib
-----
1.4 provided - 1.8 needed

gnome-utils
-----------
gnome-utils-0.30/mini-utils/gpenguin needs -lintl

ggv
---

file.c includes paths.h which does not exist

esound
------
executables need to be linked to -lsocket -lnsl
inet_aton (libORBitutil)

gtop
----
faulty configure script generated with :
 test $libgtop_version \< $min_libgtop_version && no_libgtop=yes
needs -lt instead of <

gnome-games
gnothello needs : -lORBit -lORBitutil -lIIOP

gtop
----
P_UID, P_PID, P_PPID in procview.h clash with same symbols in /usr/include/sys/procset.h

gnome-core
help-browser: inet_aton (-lORBitutil)
capplets/screensaver-properties/callbacks.c: wait3 ommitted from has no signature, but takes status int* not union*