other Solaris-related problems

I've tried to figure this one out but can't track what's happening:  when
using the background-properties capplet to set the background color,
everything seems to work fine until you click "OK" in the color picker.
Actually, it seems okay after that as well, but if you then click "Try" (or
"OK") you get the wrong color in the monitor display and a *different* wrong
color in the desktop background.  The swatch color seems to be random; at the
moment it seems to like a dark maroon color (0.48/0/0.27), but the desktop
background that gets applied is always #00ff00.

Another, very recent problem:  I build with esd support.  Over the past few
days, I have to kill esd and/or start GNOME programs with --disable-sound or I
get an "unknown protocol" error from the esd code and the program dies with
"Broken pipe" (presumably esd shut down the connection on it and there's no
error checking in the GNOME sound code):

	2@hilfy:508 B$ gnomecc
	(09) proto: unknown protocol request:  0x7761726e
	Broken Pipe
	2@hilfy:509 B$

0x7761726e looks like 'warn' to me???

--