Re: is GNU gettext now a required prerequisite for GNOME?

"Brandon S. Allbery" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu> writes:
> === [gnome-libs/make] make
> cd . && aclocal -I macros
> aclocal: configure.in: 61: macro `AM_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in library
> make: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 1
> === [gnome-libs/make] Error 2
> === [gnome-libs/make] all commands failed.  Stop.
>
> I've been relying on --with-included-gettext because the choice is
> upgrading gettext to a new version that breaks everything else in
> ECE vs. saving some space in GNOME.  Do I now have to go ahead and
> break everything non-GNOME to continue?

I had been meaning to post an announcement, but you beat me to it :-)

Yes, gettext 0.10.35 is a requirement.  I had a couple of misgivings,
but I think it simplifies some things for us.

If you have an older version of gettext, and don't want to upgrade:

  - manually revert the change to `acinclude.m4'
    i.e. use
	$ cvs update -p -r <prev rev> acinclude.m4 > aci.prev
	$ mv aci.prev acinclude.m4

  - manually revert the change to `configure.in'

  - run `gettextize' to get the intl/ directory, or copy it over from
    gnome-common/intl.

You probably won't see conflicts, since these portions of acinclude.m4
and configure.in are rarely modified.

Another option is to install the gettext m4 macros, gettextize and
$prefix/share/gettext parts of `gettext'.

- Hari