Re: GNOME and the File selection dialog box

On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

>      - Metadata support: Tom Tromey's metadata support would be very
>        handy in this situation, we could lookup the key
>        "Quick/MiniIcon" for every file displayed on the file selector
>        and provide an icon next to the file when displaying.
>
>      - We need to support the features founds on the Gtk file
>        selector: completion and file operations.
>

> Best wishes,
> Miguel.

What about including drag'n'drop features into the file selection dialog?
Of course that kind of clashes with the idea of a file selection dialog
where you specifically provide an interface to the fs independent from any
running file manager but I for one like the idea of being able to save a
file dragging its icon from the file selector box (where I can provide it
with a name, if necessary) into some file manager window. I've seen
something like this on Acorn computers and thougt it was a nice idea.
Furthermore it would make all apps using the file selector automatically
drag'n'drop aware.

Regards,
Achim

Achim Bangert                abangert@ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de