Problems compiling glib.

Hi,
I've just checkout a new fresh Gnome tree from cvs and removed most of my Red
Hat Gnome-rpms. I can't remove all rpms related to Gnome as the following system
programs depend on them:

[root@tiger ~/RPMS/GNOME]# rpm -e gtk+
removing these packages would break dependencies:
        gtk+ is needed by imlib-1.6-1
        gtk+ is needed by gtk+-perl-0.2-4
        libgdk.so.1 is needed by control-panel-3.7-4
        libgdk.so.1 is needed by imlib-1.6-1
        libgdk.so.1 is needed by usermode-1.4.1-4
        libgdk.so.1 is needed by usernet-1.0.7-4

But anyway, I tried to configure and install glib and wrote the following:
[jgroth@tiger ~/gnome/glib]$ ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local/lib/gnome
automake: Makefile.in: cannot write: Permission denied
automake: gmodule/Makefile.in: cannot write: Permission denied

It seems to me that autogen.sh tries to write somewhere besides
/usr/local/lib/gnome where user jgroth does have write permissions.

Why, does anyone know?

It goes through with configure despite the above error and make && make install
&& ldconfig works OK. So I moved on to gtk+ and wrote as before:
[jgroth@tiger ~/gnome/glib]$ ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local/lib/gnome
aclocal: configure.in: 141: macro `AM_PATH_GLIB' not found in library
configure.in:125: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:126: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:342: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:360: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:374: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
./configure: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
./configure: ./configure: line 581: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE, $VERSION,
no-define)'

Well, as you can see it was not even possible to configure gtk+. Am I doing
something fundamentaly wrong here or is anoncvs broken?

///Johan

PS
The reason I ask is that I would like to start a tentative step making a offline
news reader for Gnome (valuable when you have a dial-up connection) but right
now it's impossible to even compile Gnome, so my little project just entered
hold mode.

--
| Johan Groth           | jgroth(at)xpress.se                   |