Re: [WM] [ANNOUNCEMENT] wmakerconf 0.99.0

Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx> writes:

> > 	  From the way I understand it, what Raster has been doing primarily is
> > working on a "pixmaps" rendering engine.  Basically, it just allows you
> > to specify a different pixmap to be displayed in place of the "default".
>
> You are correct.

(Well, sort of. Raster has been spending lots of time enabling
theme engines in GTK+, and rather less time writing a pixmap
based theme engine and one pixmap theme)

> There are currently various rendering engines:
>
> 	the default engine
> 	the Win95 engine
> 	the Motif engine
> 	the Metal engine  (Java's Metal theme)
> 	the Pixmap engine
>
> The Pixmap engine so far has a "wood"-like theme and Tiger has done a
> NeXTStep theme (based purely on bitmaps).
>
> Tigert and I concurr that the right thing to do is a NeXT-look engine,
> as the pixmap engine can be quite slow for some machines.
>
> There is one problem I see with the theming: there is no way to change
> the scrollbar dimensions, raster commented quickly that it was hard
> to do.  Raster or Owen, can you tell us what would be involved in
> making the scrollbars bigger?

The path to this is pretty straightforward, but a little bit of
work. What needs to be done is:

a) Allow setting widget arguments in the gtkrc file.
b) Change all (or most) of the dimensions that are currently
   specified as #define's into widget arguments.

This is planned, but probably as a second stage for theming.
(Things like the scrollbar arrow location - important for
a NeXT look-a-like theme - will probably also be made into
widget arguments.)

Regards,
                                        Owen