Re: Thinking in start a (simple) CAD program for Gnome

Dave Cole <dave@edipost.auspost.com.au> writes:

> I#igo Serna Robledo <imaseroi@bicc00.bi.ehu.es> writes:
>
> > 	As I've written in the subject, I am thinking in start a new
> > project for GNOME: a simple 2D CAD program.
> >
> > 	I would want to know comments and ideas from all of you (about
> > all: GUI, database, links to free source, etc)
>
> Have a look at the tgif program - it probably has all that you need
> (except a nice user interface).
>
> 	http://bourbon.cs.umd.edu:8001/tgif/
>
> I really like the functionality of the program, but the UI is the
> most bizarre and twisted thing I have ever seen.  The program would
> be fantastic if it underwent gnomification :-)

Note that tgif is not free software, which limits its use for Gnome
core.

The copyright license states:

    William Cheng ("Author") grants to the party hereby receiving
    "tgif" ("Recipient") a non-exclusive, royalty-free license limited
    to copy, display, and distribute without charging for a fee, and
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    produce derivative works of "tgif", provided that the above
    copyright notice appears in all copies made of "tgif" and both the
    copyright notice and this license appear in supporting
    documentation, and that the name of Author not be used in
    advertising or publicity pertaining to "tgif". All other rights
    (including, but not limited to, the right to sell "tgif", the
    right to sell or distribute derivative works of "tgif", the right
    to distribute "tgif" for a fee, and the right to include "tgif" or
    derivative works of "tgif" in a for-sale product) are reserved by
    the Author.

    "Tgif" is provided "as is" without express or implied
    warranty. Author does not and cannot warrant the performance of
    "tgif" or the results that may be obtained by its use or its
    fitness for any specific use by Recipient or any third party. In
    no event shall Author become liable to Recipient or any other
    party, for any loss or damages, consequential or otherwise,
    including but not limited to time, money, or goodwill, arising
    from use or possession, authorized or not, of "tgif" by Recipient
    or any other party.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia