Re: [WM] [ANNOUNCEMENT] wmakerconf 0.99.0

On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 03:28:11PM -0500, Chris Green wrote:
> nuke@bayside.net writes:
> Out of utter curiousity, do you know to what extent "themes" are going
> to let you customize gtk?  I've noticed all the theme work so far
> appears to be "put pixmap in foo widget".  This doesn't seem to handle
> the special case of NeXT-alike scroll bars nor, as people complained
> about WINGs, have the slider button dimple action ( with kung-fu grip!
> <g> )

	I think I know enought to field this question.. :)  If I'm wrong
someone who knows more about it please correct me.  YMMV.

	From what I understand from my glimpses at the gtk-themes branch
of the GNOME CVS repository, GTK+ uses "rendering engines" in order to
build a set of widgets.  I believe that these "rendering engines"
actually handle all of the look/feel attributes of each and every widget
in GTK+.

	From the way I understand it, what Raster has been doing primarily is
working on a "pixmaps" rendering engine.  Basically, it just allows you
to specify a different pixmap to be displayed in place of the "default".

	Currently, there are two "engines" (three, if you count Raster's
pixmap engine) in GTK+: motif, and win95.  The best way, I think,
to do a NeXTalike GTK+ "theme" would be to build a Next rendering engine.
This, I think, would solve the problem of feel, and give exactly the
look that you are wanting.

	Again, this is from my understanding... I may very well be completley
off base, since this is from my looking at the theme code for about 10
minutes.:)

	I am, though, planning on making sure that GTK+ will have a NeXT
Theme.. hopefully one that can emulate the feel as well as the look.  I'm
a big GNOME fan.. I like the way it's being implemented, and I think it will
take us a long way twoards the goal of World Domination (tm).

	If it does all that, and looks/feels like Next.. I'll be grinning
for months. :)

		Adam

--
Adam Jacob - Sr. Systems Administrator