GMedia issues (MPG123, backends, etc.)

Ok guys,
I saw the posts regarding mpg123's inclusion in gmedia re: licensing issues.
The current situation is the following: the mp3 backend spawns mpg123 as a
player. The implementation is crap, I know, but I'm waiting for someone to
do a better job (GQmpeg I believe has a nice way of communicating with the
player).
My aim was to include the mpg123 source, so that the relevant object
files could be linked to the backend without requiring an external
application. What about having two mp3 backends: one which invokes mpg123
and one which is linked directly to a GPLed mp3 player. For
elegance/performance reasons I prefer the second solution, but that's not
important. Frontends should then allow the users to select which backends to
enable/disable.

I'm taking the opportunity here to ask for a few other things with respect
to the current implementation of gmedia:

- Please comment on the library interface. What's good. What's bad. What's
missing.
- get in touch with me if you want to contribute a backend.

Thanks

Tristan
--
Tristan Tarrant                                   ttarrant@suntlc.etnoteam.it
Lo sai che la tua faccia somiglia a  |You know your face looks like one who