RE: TrueType and Gnome

On 24 Aug, Dries, Joseph shouted:
->  > -----Original Message-----
->  > From:	nelson@media.mit.edu [SMTP:nelson@media.mit.edu]
->  > Sent:	Monday, August 24, 1998 11:12 AM
->  > To:	gnome-list@gnome.org
->  > Subject:	TrueType and Gnome
->  >
->  > To reiterate, I'm suggesting two possibilities:
->  >
->  > Build a support library for Gnome to use TrueType fonts as X fonts.
->  > This requires gluing in xfsft until an XFree with TrueType rendering
->  > comes out, and maybe making an improved font selection widget. Doesn't
->  > require any serious change to X, and most of the pieces are already
->  > written.
->  >
->  > Build a library for rendering strings with FreeType, not using X's
->  > font support at all. This replaces a big chunk of how X works but
->  > would look really nice.
->  >
->  	Let me reiterate. Linux is not *nix. *BSD is not *nix. Since GNOME
->  is intended for ALL modern Unix flavors, you cannot, must not, assume that
->  the X server is XFree. (As is, many Linux distributions have commercial,
->  non-XFree86 distributions such as Metro-X or AccelX) I should not have to
->  replace my SunOS, Solaris, IRIX, AIX, or HPUX X servers with XFree86 to get
->  TrueType font support.
->
->  	That said, I agree that building a library (similar to what E does
->  with fnlib and freetype) that is distributed and built with GNOME will
->  facilitate the adoption of TrueType fonts on all platforms. This would be
->  extremely useful, and the newbies would like it. ;)

if you want ttfont.c is an almost self-contained font renderer for X -
using truetype fotns and it will draw on any X drawable in any bit
depth with anti-aliasing (only avaliable in 15bpp and up - otherwise
non anti-aliased) - you can "libraricize" this whenever u like. :)

->  	-j
->
->

--