RE: TrueType and Gnome

>Let me reiterate. Linux is not *nix. *BSD is not *nix. Since GNOME is
>intended for ALL modern Unix flavors, you cannot, must not, assume
>that the X server is XFree.

Of course! But xfsft works with any X server that supports font
servers (which I think is most of them now). The web page notes that
it is reported to be working with Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD, and HP-UX.
It's portable. Use the hypothetical XFree86 with TrueType support if
you can, otherwise use xfsft. No problem. I'm not even suggesting
requiring TrueType fonts at all with Gnome - just providing some high
level support for them if they're available.

>That said, I agree that building a library (similar to what E does
>with fnlib and freetype) that is distributed and built with GNOME
>will facilitate the adoption of TrueType fonts on all platforms. This
>would be extremely useful, and the newbies would like it. ;)

Can someone familiar with E's code comment on how hard this is?