Re: fonts

> De : Nelson Minar <nelson@media.mit.edu>
> A : gnome-list@gnome.org
> Objet : fonts
> Date : vendredi 21 août 1998 23:36
[clip]
> The second problem with X fonts is that there aren't enough nice ones,
> in particular not enough attractive and readble fixed width fonts that
> come with XFree86. 10x20 and good ol' 6x13 (the usual fixed) are good,
> but most of the other fonts designed to be screen fonts don't look
> very good. Are there ready sources of screen fonts beyond what comes
> with XFree?

*** How to get instant access to all your loved Windows TTF fonts !!! ***
You should install a font server which supports .ttf (TrueType) fonts to get
access to an immense collection of good-looking fonts. Type1 fonts are not bad,
but don't look very good at low resolutions due to the lack of grid hinting.
Have a look at FreeType (http://www.freetype.org/) for more information about
how to compile a .ttf font server. I can also provide a binary one to you if
you want (glibc2, ~400k unzipped)

CU,
Damien.