Unicode and Bidirectional writing in GNOME

Hi!

Can anyone shed light on whether GNOME supports (or plans to
support...) Unicode characters and
bidirectional writing (needed for languages written from right to left
such as Hebrew, Arabic, etc...) ?

I am very much interested in helping make GNOME aware of bidirectional
languages from its base, so that it appeals to countries that use those
languages. As an example, in Israel, Windows 95/NT have a very wide and
strong support of bidirectinal writing for hebrew/english, making it much
more apealing for most israeli's to use than Linux as a standard desktop,
regardless of any other technical merit linux has...

If anyone is working on this, or simply has a firm understanding of
GNOME's architecture, I would very much appreciate recieving as
much info as possible on the subject, together with pointers on what needs
to be done, and where to start from.

By the way, are there any archives of this mailing list? I couldn't find
any mention of such archives...

Cheers!
Tal Davidson, Israel
tald@md2.huji.ac.il

P.S. I anyone is programming in Java, take a look at Beautifier,
(http://www.bigfoot.com/~davidsont/beautifier) - a small, fast and free
automatic indentater of java source files.