Problems with configure for gnome-libs-0.27

I have been attempting to get GNOME up and going, but am unable to
even get past compiling 'gnome-libs-0.27'. I have installed
glib-1.1.2 and gtk+-1.1.1 and I still get the error from configure
below:

    checking for gdk_imlib_init in -lgdk_imlib... no
    configure: error: I could not find gdk_imlib

I did a 'nm' on all of the shared libraries and the 'gdk_imlib_init'
symbol exists. Can anyone shed some light as to
why things are not working? I am running a libc5.44 system with
2.0.35 kernel and gcc-2.8.1. Thanks.

Steve

P.S. I went back through the previous 3 months archive and was
     unable to find an answer.