Re: [Summary] Meta-data/filesystem-encapsulation

Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> I still fail to see the connection with the file manager (obviously,
> the file manager will export its internals trough corba as well).

I think he means that the file manager would be a good place to
house the central access point to all these object interfaces.
Actually, it would probably be more appropriate to call it an
Object Manager in this case, although there would be a direct
correlation between objects and files.  A File-Object Manager.

Think of it as an interactive catalog of operations you can
perform on each type of file.  When you find the file you're
looking for (e.g. a text document), you right click on it, and a
menu pops up with all the different ways you can operate on this
text file.  That's pretty close to how it is right now.  The
difference is that you don't necessarily tell the file manager to
"Open this text document with so-and-so application".  Rather,
you ask it "What's the best way to edit this text document?" or
in technical jargon, "Go find which CORBA objects are installed
on this system that would be good for editing this file, and show
me that list".

It's a more distributed approach, but it still keys on the
file/object manager as its primary access point.

At least I think that's what he means.  Felix?

John