Re: Localisation...

On 15 Aug 1998, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com> writes:
>
> > Arturo> May be we could ask before tell "GNOME supports POSIX i18n".
> >
> > I wouldn't bother saying that, since it isn't exactly a selling
> > point.  No user cares how it works, just that it does work.
>
> In fact, saying "Gnome supports POSIX i18n" is a lost point since the
> reaction will be: "Only POSIX?".  The POSIX i18n ABI is extremely
> weak.

Yes, but pointing out POSIX compliance is one less way for the US
Government's bean counters to disallow GNOME.  Many government purchasing
programs require POSIX compliance.  This is why NT has the brain-dead,
afterthought of a POSIX compatibility layer thrown on, because the
government cares not how it is implemented, just that it is.

-Gleef