Re: panel error *** ORBit patch ***

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, James Michael Mastros wrote:

> > I did add UNIX socket support to ORBit to allow not going out over any
> > IPv4 network, but it still needs to get a hostname to find out whether
> > that usock is on the current host (i.e. you still need to fix /etc/hosts
> > !)
> Why can't you just assume that it is?  Can you still see UNIX sockes over NFS?

Simple example:
Person runs GNOME desktop sessions on hosts A and B. All is well.

Both panels have a UNIX socket path of /tmp/username/GNOME-panel, but
since they are on two different hosts, there is no namespace clash.

Person wants to run a "super stock ticker" applet on host B, but have it
displayed in their panel on host A.

If the ORBit that stock-ticker applet uses does not check which host it is on:
	It will see the UNIX socket path in the IOR for host A's panel,
	and try to connect to it.

	Since it is running on host B, it will connect to
	/tmp/username/GNOME-panel, the panel for the desktop on host B.

	It may start displaying on B's panel, or it may just bomb out.

If the ORBit that stock-ticker applet uses checks which host the UNIX
socket is on:
	It will see the UNIX socket path in the IOR for host A's panel.

	It will compare hostnames and realize that the IOR is for a
	CORBA server running on a remote system, so it will not use the
	UNIX socket path from the IOR.

	It will connect via IPv4 to the hostname & port listed in the IOR,
	and start displaying inside panel A.

Hope this helps,
-- Elliot
Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from smart
people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of smart
terminals.  -- obs@burnout.demon.co.uk