Re: panel and ORBit Problems

On 12 Aug 1998, Raja R Harinath wrote:

> To: Martin Baulig <martin@home-of-linux.org>
> Subject: Re: panel and ORBit Problems
> From: Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu>
>
> Martin Baulig <martin@home-of-linux.org> writes:
> > Well, I don't have HPUX nor do I know anything about it, but nevertheless
> > some comments ...
> >
> > On 12 Aug 1998, Sebastien Carpe wrote:
> > > That wasn't as easy as i exspected, since i'm on a HPUX 9.05, not
> > > Linux at all, and even a quite old system (since i've seen strange
> > > things in it - like variable presentce in libs but no declaration in
> > > corresponding include... Oh well.... *sigh* -)
> > >
> > > Here are a few things i met ... I've had bad times about some code,
> > > here is what i remembered :
> > > - In ORBit, there's a call to getcwd with (NULL,0) as argument. On my
> > > system, that means get current directory, do a malloc of _0_ char
> > > maximum to place the resulting directory ... hum hum ... Function
> >
> > Bad. Is there any way to tell your getcwd to malloc as much memory as
> > needed or to get the length of the result ?
> >
> > > called 'get_full_path' (get etag to track down)
> > > - gnomesupport.h wasn't present, i had to do some awk stuff to get
> >
> > This is correct. But this `awk stuff' should normally be done
> > automatically so I guess this hasn't worked for any reason.
>
> Yep.  This is the second report I've got that BUILT_SOURCES doesn't
> work.  Were you (i.e. Sebastien) using GNU make or another?
>
> > > one. but after that, for some reason, dirent got redefined to direct,
> >
> > Hari, you seem to have done this on Apr 13 (from the ChangeLog) - was this
> > simly a typo or did you have some reason ?
>
> I was following the suggestion on autoconf.info, for the result of
> AC_HEADER_DIRENT.

Hmm, well - DEC OSF/1 #defines direct to dirent with a comment 'for
backward compatiblity' - so there are perhaps really systems having
a `struct direct' ...

> > > and i had to replace 'include "dirent.h"' with 'include "ndir.h"' in a
> > > few places to avoid prototype collision on stuff like 'readdir' and some
> > > others...
> >
> > You mean your system has a "dirent.h" which doesn't work ? - it seems like
> > "ndir.h" gets included when there is no "dirent.h".
>
> Yes, wierd.  You have dirent.h, but you still get #define dirent direct.
> Can you also send me your config.h/config.log.

Well, now that we know that there seem to be systems having a
`struct direct' - does your system have one as well ?

> - Hari
> --
> Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ harinath@cs.umn.edu
> "When all else fails, read the instructions."      -- Cahn's Axiom
> "Our policy is, when in doubt, do the right thing."   -- Roy L Ash

   Martin Baulig - Angewandte Mathematik - Universitaet Trier

   baulig@castor.uni-trier.de, http://www.home-of-linux.org/
   Key: 1024-bit key with ID C8178435 created 1997/01/24
   ID:  67 C1 84 A0 47 F5 11 C5  5F 68 4C 84 99 05 C3 92
   Finger me for public key or fetch finger.txt from the url above