Re: gnome output

Joerg Janes <J.Janes@IDS-Scheer.DE> writes:

> Hi out there,
>
> while I run X and Gnome, there are a lot of messages from applications and from gnome itself. These messages were outputed on the terminal, on which I started my X server, which I don't know to reach, while X is running ...
>
> Is there a way, to get this messages displayed on a window at the gnome desktop ?

Yes, you can make a gnome start script that looks something like the
following.  Then run this script instead of gnome-session to start
Gnome.

#!/bin/sh
cd ${HOME}
exec > .gnomelog 2>&1
xterm -e tail -f .gnomelog &
gnome-session

You could move the xterm startup to gnome-sessions list of programs to
start at startup, and maybe replace it with something better.