[OFFTOPIC] Re: Java bindings

On Tue, Aug 11, 1998 at 10:11:23 AM +0200, Sven wrote:
> > Isn't there going to be some java(kaffe) bindings for gtk/gnome. I think =
> > this could be really great for=20
> > java on the desktop. And Java could be a big boost for linux
>
> linus said (in a sun magazin or whatever, iinterview) that he thought java was  dead.

1) I belive the term was "irrelevent", and that it was an offhand comment at
   a recent con.  I could be miss-remembering, or just plain wrong.
2) Just because Linus says so dosn't meen that he's right.  (Sacralage!)
3) Just because it's irrelevent to the kernel (which it certanly is), dosn't
   meen that it's irrelevent to GNOME.
4) I don't think Java bindings are very practicle at the moment, because
   shortly everything is going to be done through CORBA, and I'm guessing
   that the're be an offical CORBA API for Java soon (if there isn't yet),
   and anybody interested in Java GNOME bindings should probably start there.
5) Are you volunteering?

	-=- James Mastros
--
A basement-GNOME (http://www.gnome.org/) with PIP (IETF group) and WINE