Re: GNOME & KOM/OP

On Mon, Aug 10, 1998 at 10:56:52PM +0200, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
>    Hi!
>
> On Mon, Aug 10, 1998 at 09:52:07AM +0200, Sven wrote:
> > (* about Baboon and KOM interoperability... *)
> >
> > what has it to do with the -graphic- toolkit, the way apps speak
> > to each others should be totally independent from the way they draw
> > things to the screen, soe gtk/qt problem should have nothing to do
> > with the choice of it.
>
> Yes, and KOM is toolkit independant, bases on CORBA, and so on. So
> why not that. It uses X swallowing, so it would work with Gtk+.
>
> Remember that the descision is not only about technical superiority.
> It's a descision that will dictate the way linux users work with
> their applications in the future.
>
> Considering this, a common object model is IMHO worth much much more
> than two different. So the little technical issues regarding KOM/OP
> should be worth nothing against the gain of making all KDE and Gnome
> apps interoperable in near future.

So far one of the biggest differences between KDE and Gnome (IMO) is
that KDE is pretty heavily based on C++, while Gnome is pretty
language independent. I understand that KOM is also heavily reliant on
C++. I'd rather see Gnome stay away from anything too language
specific. Although I agree with your sentiment. Whatever is used
should interoperate.

--
David Jeske (N9LCA) + http://www.chat.net/~jeske/ + jeske@chat.net