Re: An answer to metadata, complete.

I think the idea below has alot of implementation details intended to
solve a problem which is not yet well defined. Here is my attempt to
define the goal/explain the problem:

** Allow data on the system to have arbitrary, but structured 'meta-data' **
** Make sure that 'meta data' and 'data' can't get out of sync. **

This falls under the sub-heading of 'encapsulation'. Related 'usage'
oriented thoughts:
 - data should be movable without breaking meta-data
 - applications/shlibs/etc and their associated data should be encapsulated
   and should passively describe (in the form of structured meta-data)
   their capabilities (i.e. the filetypes they open, etc) to the system.
    (i.e. we should not have install programs running around changing
          fvwm configuration files, or registry keys, to make things work)
 - software should not be using absolute paths, I might even argue
   that there shouldn't be such a thing as absolute paths.

--
David Jeske (N9LCA) + http://www.chat.net/~jeske/ + jeske@chat.net