Re: PROPOSAL: Let's count ourselves

On Sun, Aug 09, 1998 at 11:34:45 PM -0500, Arturo Tena wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, David Abilleira Freijeiro wrote:
> >Beat Christen wrote:
> >	Other interesting information will be: country, first and second
> >language, machine, O.S., and so on.
>
> I'm not a GNOME developer, but I can see some security issues here. If you
> know that your name is Ahbil Kmnatna, and your machine runs the Linux
> kernel 2.0.34, and I know about your country, I could look for you... In
> some time I will found you, and I can crack your machine...
Umm... how so.  If I know that my name is James Mastros, I live in the USA,
and that my kernel is 2.1.115 (as soon as it finishes downloading...), that
dosn't help you at all because you don't know my IP (well, you can get mine
easily enough, but not most people's).  In any case, optionality is the name
of the game.  But all that this would get you is my ICBM address.  (And it
would be a cool way to help local GNOME user's groups to synthysize.)

	-=- James Mastros

--
A basement-GNOME (http://www.gnome.org/) with PIP (IETF group) and WINE
(http://www.winehq.com/).  Not really as impressive as it might sound, or as