Symlinking to gnome-common

Is it perfectly safe to use the same copy of the intl, macros,
and support directories for all gnome packages, and just put
symbolic links to it from each project?  I realize that cvs puts
a discrete copy into each package.  But does the
configure/compile process do anything to those common directories
that shouldn't be shared by other packages?

Part of it is the disk space (although I have plenty for the
moment), and part of it is not wanting to haul around all that
extra weight each time I create a new application.

Thanks,
John