Re: GNOME & KOM/OP

On  6 Aug, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
:
:  Our Component model will be based on CORBA, which means you will be
:  able to use it from practically any language you want (which is one of
:  the goals of GNOME).  The component model does not require Gtk or any
:  other graphical toolkit.
:
:  The libraries for the Component model will be released under the terms
:  of the GNU LGPL to allow linking with more restrictive licenses (which
:  includes the Qt license) so it will be possible to have proprietary
:  components talking to free components.
:
:  I talked to Torben at the Kongress about this and he did not seem very
:  interested in redoing OpenParts/KOM with something different, as it is
:  part of his master's thesis.

Might it be useful, then, to have a sort of KOM<->CORBA bridge that
presents a single API for people interested in developing for both
desktops? Not as part of GNOME, but something the app developer could
link in to the app. If people like Stefan are going to write the code to
talk to both it makes more sense to abstract that work into a commonly
available library and only have to write it once.

	- A