Re: GNOME Database kit:: GNODBC

>On Wed, Aug 05, 1998 at 11:05:18AM -0500, Adam Keys wrote:
>> I've seen various database utilities floating around, like the one Dr.
>> Mike of RHAD is working on.  I'm into the database stuff and want to
>> write a really cool database library for GNOME.  I want it to be
>> portable, abstracted, and powerful.
>> I'm looking for other database gurus and some gtk gurus to create the
>> widgets needed to logically interact with a database.  Attacted is a
>> little white paper scrap I wrote up outlining the intent of the kit.
>
>As some already said ODBC is something to look at... I dunno if they meant
>looking at ADO too? Active Data Objects is a very powerfull intuitive way
>to access a database. Check out the ado part of the microsoft site...
>
>I've been working with it for a while now and well... the concept is the
>best I've ever seen. It's object oriented-ish.

ADO is just another in the MS "protocol stack" for data access. In fact,
it's the preferred API for accessing oledb data.

             [ado]

            [oledb]
  ______________________
  |                    |
[odbc]                 |
  |                    |
[database]   [other datastores]

OLEDB/ADO is said to be a pretty expensive layer -- simple ODBC is a lot
faster than ado.
The only advantage of using ADO is the possibility of accessing non-db data.
This could be
a medium-term goal, but we should be concentrating on ODBC first... Note
that Sun decided
to do plain-vanilla ODBC/JDBC bridging instead of OLEDB/JDBC for Java,
because the added value
of OLEDB was supposedly small. (But this may be corporate politics...).

So, IMHO, I would suggest to get a stable, fast ODBC implementation
(FreeODBC?) working first, then
we can see what higher-level API we can develop for app-programmers.

Dirk-Jan.