Re: GNOME & KOM/OP

Julian Regel wrote:

> > > From the gnome-0.25 release announcement:
> > >
> > > * Expect a first preview of the GNOME component model to be
> > >   available in about a month.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be great if the GNOME component model would be something
> > compatible to or a port of KOM (and later perhaps OpenParts)?

[snip]

> I can't see why not for technical reasons. It would be a shame if we
> ended up with two different, incompatible object component models on
> the same desktop.
>
> Or is there some _technical_ reason why this would be impractical?

Even if a direct compatibility is not possible (due to
fundamental differences in structure?), the GNOME component model
should at the _very_ least allow for some sort of plug-in or
abstraction layer so that the two can somehow, someday be
connected.  This would allow GNOME to expand into just about any
new desktop environment.

To me, this is very critical.

John