Re: GNOME Database Kit Part II

On  6 Aug, Adam Keys wrote:
:
:  Writing the 'drivers' will be trivial.  The drivers will use the API provided by
:  the database vendor.

The common subset of vendor-provided APIs is ODBC.

:  > It just seems dumb to come up with a new API and then expect database
:  > vendors to support something new.  They're not going to do it.  They'll
:  > probably do ODBC
:  > drivers, but it's doubtful they'll write drivers for your API.
:
:  It'd be nice if the database vendors right their own drivers for whatever we do,
:  but I had envisioned someone in the gnome community writing a driver for
:  Commercial DBMS X.

Sure, it could be done, but why require people to write, distribute,
and use all those shims?

:
:  > A better compromise might be to come up with some middleware.  Gnome
:  > apps can use
:  > your API to talk to a server process, which then translates the requests
:  > into
:  > ODBC requests.  That way you get to have a simple API for Gnome apps to
:  > use, but
:  > you'll also get ODBC connectivity.

mysql does it this way.

	- A