Re: [gtk-list] GNOME Database kit

Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Adam Keys wrote:
>
> > I've seen various database utilities floating around, like the one Dr.
> > Mike of RHAD is working on.  I'm into the database stuff and want to
> > write a really cool database library for GNOME.  I want it to be
> > portable, abstracted, and powerful.
> > I'm looking for other database gurus and some gtk gurus to create the
> > widgets needed to logically interact with a database.  Attacted is a
> > little white paper scrap I wrote up outlining the intent of the kit.
>
> Are you wanting to create a standard database API, or a standard way of
> displaying results, or what?

I want to create an API that abstracts the connection and capabilites of
the database.  A code example in c++

Connection conn = new mysqlConnector( "host", "user", "passwd" );

Results res = conn.execute( "select * from table" );

and from there you could feed the Result to a widget that can display
the results in a spreadsheet-like table.  The widgets would more or less
be a part of the API, since primary use would be for working with
databases.

> Have you looked at the ODBC API yet? It is much more mature, it does what
> we need, and it is an industry standard...
The problem so far as I see is that ODBC drivers must be written and
that ODBC is a bit complex.  These are all my perceptions, I could be
wrong.