Re: European Days of Multimedia ...

-----Original Message-----
From: Sven <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>
To: gnome-list@gnome.org <gnome-list@gnome.org>
Date: 5. ágúst 1998 12:08
Subject: European Days of Multimedia ...

>Hello, ...
>
>i plan to 'exhibit' a linux box this weekend on the 'Journee Europeenes du
Multimedia- Strasbourg'.

>I would have liked to install gnome on it, together with a nice window
manager.

>I never installed gnome before, and i know only the look of it through this
mailing list and the web pages. But i think it is important to show the
people who will attend that there is something else beside windows and
macos.

>So i would be interrested in hint on what is best to install, and from
where ? a actual snapshot (will it work) or the .20 gnome binaries that are
in redhat or debian.

>Write to me both at this address (luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr) and at my
work (luthersv@e-i.com).

Try the binary distro -- it's infinitely easier _if_ it works. Personally, I
tried the .deb files as gave up fixing up the library mismatches, then got
the .20 tarball and hacked on that for a week, only to have to plunge
head-first into cvs, finally getting the damn thing to work about a month
later after compiling glib, gtk, imlib, and all that from their own cvs
sources.

(OK, I exaggerate a little)

What I'm trying to say is: don't put yourself in a situation where bad
things happen if you fail to get gnome working in under a week.

As for the window manager, I heartily recommend WindowMaker. It looks good
out of the box and is easy to customize. I just switched to it from
AfterStep 1.4 yesterday but I haven't tested the GNOME integration features.