Re: panel question/idea

On 3 Aug 1998, Dirk Luetjens wrote:
> monitor" from the GNOME menu. Wouldnīt it be nice, if one could click
> onto the applet to launch a configurable program, in this example the
> "System monitor"?

i agree. maybee we could put into some styleguide, that a left click onto
a applet launches such a program? Or maybee we should agree on a
entry in the right-click menu, because the left click is allready used in
many applets for other things (shifting peaces in 15, mounting drives in
drivemount, muting the volume in the volume control, etc.)

Adding such an entry in an applet's right click menu  isn't really that
much work... i think it can easily be done in as little as 10 lines code
for each applet :-)

<sniped part on wether panel or applet should take care of that>
 (i don't know for sure about that one...)

> Problems arise, when applets consum the left-click, e.g. the
> Mixer or CD applet. In this case I do not understand the philosophy:
> Shouldnīt the Cd or Mixer applet be full blown applications in real,
> displaying there status via an applet (-> memory consuming) or two
> different programs with no further relationship (except the
> function)? But in the last case we donīt need the CORBA stuff?

I don't know how hard this would be, but it would certainly be a much
better solution. Instead of minimizing the gnome-system monitor, let it
dock itself into the panel, providing functions of the CPUload and
MEMusage applets. The cd and mixer applications you mentioned are even
better examples... It should be possible with all this spiffy CORBA stuff
going on in gnome, right? =)