Re: Can't compile gtk+

On 01-Aug-98 Paul Johnson wrote:

> You need to compile glib first, it creates the aclocal it is looking
> for. Assuming you did it, the compile is not finding your aclcoal,so
> you probably have an existing /usr/share/aclocal directory, and
> you need to put a symlink from the /usr/local/share/aclocal/*.m4
> files
> to that directory.

Hi,
I tried your suggestions but it did not work. Perhaps I was too brief in
my first explanation. I have gnome 0.20 installed on my system
(installed from rpm-packages) and I want to build the latest
glib/gtk/gnome from the cvs source tree. So I tried ./autogen.sh
--prefix=/usr/local/lib/gnome && make && make install in the glib
directory. It went well. Then I tried the same thing in gtk+ and it
fails in the configure.in-script.

[jgroth@tiger ~/gnome/gtk+]$ ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local/lib/gnome
aclocal: configure.in: 141: macro `AM_PATH_GLIB' not found in library
configure.in:125: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:126: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:341: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:359: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:373: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
./configure: syntax error near unexpected token
`AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
./configure: ./configure: line 581: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,
$VERSION, no-define)'

I think the first row is the true error but I have not a clue how to
fix it.

The versions of aclocal, autoconf, libtool and automake I use are:
[jgroth@tiger ~/gnome/gtk+]$ aclocal --version
aclocal (GNU automake) 1.3

[jgroth@tiger ~/gnome/gtk+]$ autoconf --version
Autoconf version 2.12

[jgroth@tiger ~/gnome/gtk+]$ libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.0h

[jgroth@tiger ~/gnome/gtk+]$ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.3

autogen.sh does not complain about them so it shouldn't be the tools.
Is it even possible to have a production and a bleeding-edge version of
gnome installed?

///Johan

PS
Does anyone have a suggestion of a good window manager to use with
gnome (please, not fvwm. I think it is too hard to customize). I need a
pager and nice background, sound is nice but not essential. Today I use
AfterStep 1.4.5 but it does not work well with Gnome.

---
| Johan Groth           | jgroth(at)xpress.se                   |
| Kupolen Data          | Johan.Groth(at)ein.ericsson.se        |
| Karlstad, Sweden      |                                       |