Re: The new panel

On Sun, Aug 02, 1998 at 09:08:12PM -0400, John Ellis wrote:
> With the removal of the ugly button backgrounds, the panel is
> starting to look pretty good :)
>
> But I have a few comments or requests.
>
> The new [...] button looks cleaner than the add buttons, but
> I think it should be an even simpler looking button. Maybe they could
> follow after the small arrow buttons for submenus, but instead of an arrow,
> be a plus sign.
>
> The lack of the icons on the panel looking like a button, troubles me. I always
> like feedback of a button press. Button indents when you press, and pops out when
> you let go. Perhaps a rollover button like those in netscape? I know this would
> just be eyecandy, but I would like visual clues as to what is 'clickable' on the
> panel.
>
> I was feeling energetic and made a mockup of what I mean, It is here:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/5235/panel-mock.jpg
>
> It's 250K, I had a png at 148k, but Geocities won't accept that filetype, hmm.
>
> The mockup of the rollover is towards the bottom of the screenshot. Notice the
> mouse moving over the gedit icon. And I hacked the panel to use a plus instead
> of [...] just to see what it would look like, you can see that too.
>
> I'm cc'ing gnome-list in case anyone is interested to know what the current panel
> sort of looks like (sort of because the 'plus' buttons are just [...] buttons in
> the CVS.
>
> PS: yes, I know everything in that screenshot is not GNOME, but it does show GNOME
> and KDE can run together.

I like the plus sign .. please send it to me or commit to cvs ...

btw ... the button like thing on icons .. yes I want to do that too ..
one solution while a lot of people like is tiles (then you can have two tiles
for pressed up and pressed down) ...

for a simpler solution when no tiles are present ... how about making the
pixmap darker when pressed (it's a "cheaper" solution) ..

on a different topic ... it seems gnome_pixmap's have their own X windows
which are now shaped ... that would make that kind of hard to do alpha
chanell thingie .. (I think raster was mumbling something about it lately)
... this problem is not there if we do the tiles since we don't need X
to put two pixmaps together with alpha ...

I already put support for non-window widgets in the panel though it's
somewhat weird, and could be improved I guess ... (but this was before
I found out that gnome-pixmaps DO have a window)

btw .. if someone wants to volunteer some time that would help this how about
writing an icon button widget for the panel ... a widget that contains the
pixmap is transparent and does the things that one would like on a button

I dunno ... it's mostly that I don't know crap about X that is stopping me
from doing these things :)

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: