Re: My thoughts on icons and meta-data

On Tue, 28 Apr, 1998 at 12:29:45PM +0200, Miroslav Silovic set free these words:
> Mark Andrew Hulme-Jones <ceemahj@cee.hw.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > > Does this handle the situation where some file manipulation is done
> > > via the file manager, and some is done via the command line? I can
> > > see a .info file getting badly out of sync if things are done at the
> > > command line instead of using the file manager. (particularly 'mv')
> > No, doing things with the command line would mean that the database would
> > get out of sync with the filesystem. Note that there is a huge advantage
> > here of a database rather than .info files, given that should this
> > out-of-syncness actually happen, it's far easier for the filemanager to
> > compare the contents of a database with the actual filing system and
> > delete/add entries accordingly, with .info files, you have to find the
> > .info files first and even then you don't know what file on the filing
> > system that they _used_ to correspond to, so you have virtually no idea
> > what to do with them.
>
> Actually this still leaves an open issue. If user1 has db somewhere in
> ~user1/.gnome/db and user2 has it in ~user2/.gnome/db, then user2 will
> not be able to correctly access the files generated by user1's
> applications.

user2 really shouldn't be mucking around with user1's files :-)
Actually, I suppose this functionality could be built in as easily as for any
of the .info file proposals; only a metadata daemon proposal (via a system
wide database, I believe) gets this functionality for free.

-Toshio

--
badger  \"The Difference between today and yesterday is not so much what has
@prtr-13 \ changed between then and now as what I hope to change by tomorrow."