Re: GNOME Start Script

>  Actually, wms do have state to save.  E.g.:
>
>  * Z ordering of windows
>  * Iconfication state of windows
>  * Desktop for each window

The Z ordering and desktop for each window can be saved implicitly
from the root window's children list (as reported by XQueryTree, which
returns subwindows in stacking order) and the "current" position of
the window (as reported by XGetGeometry), respectively.  Then the
window manager only has to store the number of the virtual desktop
that was active at the time the session was saved.

I am not sure how iconification is handled, so I can't comment on that
:-)

  Federico