Re: Bounce a few ideas off

> > I've only recently decided to become an active part of the gnome effort,
> > and thus subscribed to this list yesterday.  So I think I missed it.  :)

> > I filtered my ideas through the software map at http://www.gnome.org/ and
> > I didn't see anything on RPM development-type stuff.  I don't remember,
> > but there could have been just a glint-type program for gnome?

> > Perhaps you could give me some information on researching this further,
> > such as this person's email address?

> I know marc replied to this mail, but just in case: marc@redhat.com
> (He said he wasn't doing a builder, only an installer/deinstaller/query-tool
> [yes, glint-like.])

He's just working on something that handles the user-end of RPM, not
developer.

> > Yeah, well... :)  There will always be vi fans, no matter how big Emacs
> > gets, how well the key bindings or matched, or how much we try to emulate
> > the speed of using vi.

> Ewww!  Emacs!  I used to use emacs when I had just come over from the Windows
> World.  But I found vim to be just as featureful and use resources much
> better.  But hey, to each his own.

Yeah.  I'm actually a pretty big jed fan too.  nedit is a programming life
saver in X.

> > And no, it doesn't seem essential, but it would aid in what is definitely
> > an essential goal: documentation.

> I totally agree.  I wasn't saying a tag reference in place of an IDDE -- I was
> saying a great, well-structured, intuitive tag reference would be one of the
> most positive features I could think of.

That would help me too.  I'm very experienced in HTML, and know SGML, and
know DocBook well enough.  But still - there are so many elements in
DocBook, it really gets hard to find what you need.

A categorized list of elements, organized not by alphabetical order, but
by purpose would be very nice.  What I would do is put that structure
right into the IDDE.

> > Yeah.  I've been doing some research studies of my own on newbies using
> > Linux, and I discuss what's hard, what's easy, what needs work, and what
> > user interface-type things they would like to see in Linux.

> If you have a URL, I'd be interested in reading those papers (sometime after I
> clear out my INBOX... :-)

URL... hehehehe...  I think you mis-understand.  I've gone around to all
my newbie and Windows using friends with a pin and paper, and interviewed
them for about a half hour to a few hours.  :)  I could type up some of
the notes I've collected on that, though.  I'm sorry if that sounded like
it was scientific and published.  :)

> > > Something to remember, (maybe when prioritizing which to do first) is which
> > > apps are likely to be run by a newbie and which are just automated and which
> > > won't have X available when run (fsck -- mostly automated.  When the user
> > > actually invokes it, it's likely X wont' be available..)

> > I decided to at least put off an fsck idea, and I've sort of begun a
> > gshutdown shell to shutdown.  It's a sweet and simple project that
> > shouldn't be too much, until this summer when I get some free time, and
> > I'll devote my efforts to something grander.

> Hmmmm.. I think there's a gshutdown utility already in the gnome tree
> somewhere.... CVS module:gnome-utils dir: gnome-utils/mini-utils/gshutdown
>
> I don't know how different it is....

Yeah, I noticed...  About 10 minutes after I had some pre-alpha code and a
web page for my gshutdown.  Oh well.  <grin>

- --

 H3C-N--C=N      | Kenneth R. Kinder, aka Bouncing
"code=caffiene*hours"
      \==/       | Ken@KenAndTed.com  http://www.KenAndTed.com/KensBookmark
/
    O=<__>N-C3H  |
  H3C-N \\O      |                   Ken & Ted's Software
_________________| http://www.KenAndTed.com/
Software@KenAndTed.com