Re: SysV runlevel editor

Jason Gilbert writes:
>I don't know about linuxconf, but the brief thing I read a while
>back about COAS was that it was a framework for configuration
>that allowed for plugins for different apps.

linuxconf provides that capability as well.  It also automatically
sets up each module to participate in configuration file versioning
(keeping old versions of files under RCS), named configuration
versions (home, test, work, etc. etc.), remote management, multi-
machine local and remote management, etc.

However, many app developers wish precisely NOT to be involved in
writing configuration tools, and are very happy to have other
people working on that task, people who specialize in that task.
I think that's perfectly reasonable, and I'm one of the people
who has specialized, at least to some degree, in writing config
tools.  I think it's interesting, but not everyone does, and I'm
not about to turn into a config-file nazi who insists that every
app developer write to a particular configuration backend.  Ugh,
that would be annoying.

michaelkjohnson

 Linux Application Development       http://www.redhat.com/~johnsonm/lad/