Re: little problem with *building* RPMs

On Tue, 14 Apr, 1998 at 08:24:17AM +0200, Mark Galassi set free these words:

> Dudes, I'm about to put out a new set of DocBook RPMs (finally!), and
> I am running in to a little problem and a worry.
>
> The laptop I am using for my 3 months in Europe is running RedHat 5,
> and I am building the RPMs on that machine.
>
> The *problem* is that when I go install the RPMs on a RedHat 4.2
> machine, I get messages like:
>
> failed dependencies:
>         /bin/sh is needed by stylesheets-0.2-0
>         /bin/sh   is needed by stylesheets-0.2-0
>
> Has anyone seen this?  Is there a way of *building* the packages that
> will work around it?  I don't think users should have to use the
> --nodeps option.

This is because newer versions of rpm add dependency checking for the programs
used in the %(pre|post)(in|un) scripts.  This includes the shell (/bin/sh).

Solutions include: upgrading the rpm on the redhat-4.2 machine or downgrading
the rpm version on the machine you are building the package on.  However::
> The *worry* is that RedHat 4.x users will run in to binary
> compatibility problems because of glibc versus old-linux-libc.

rpm shouldn't let users of redhat-4.2 upgrade the rpms because they won't have
glibc installed (unless they decide to use --force or --nodeps.)  If you have
access to two machines to make two versions of the package, the way most
people seem to handle this is to make one version on redhat-4.2 (w/rpm-2.3.11
and libc-5) and one version on redhat-5.0.  The redhat-5.0 package has "glibc"
stuck on the release tag (as in rpm-2.4.12-1glibc.i386.rpm)

If you upload these to ftp.redhat.com, I think the ftp maintainers or their
automated minions are smart enough to figure this out.  If you just keep them
on your site there shouldn't be any problem either.

-Toshio
--
badger  \"The Difference between today and yesterday is not so much what has
@prtr-13 \ changed between then and now as what I hope to change by tomorrow."

PGP signature