Re: C++ & gnome (was: Re: opening Gnome to multiple (windowing) systems)

> invaluable tools.  Things like the Std C++ library are great - the STL is
> fantastic - C just has nothing to answer with.  Another great thing about
> C++ is encapsulation which avoids passing critical data pointers as
> arguments to functions.

as a person who has used templates and STL for a large project that went
down the tubes .... if I were to do a big program in C++ there would be
4 rules:

1) no templates
2) no STL
3) no multiple inheritance
4) no reference variables

just because all of these will make life hell once stuff starts to go wrong
or specs start to change for your program

it seems far easier to me to put a nice OO rfamework down for C and then
use it ... (such as the gtk object model) .... starting an OO project
with all teh OO bells and whistles is not as easy in C as in C++ ... but
once you have the OO framework down ... writing new objects that use
that is usually quite trivial, lot more times mroe trivial then in C++

plus C seems to be much more managable in large projects ...as I have
discovered that the hyped C++ reusability just doesn't exist ....

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: