Re: opening Gnome to multiple (windowing) systems

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998 raster@redhat.com wrote:

> On  9 Apr, Joel Dillon shouted:
> ->    Of course comments like this are one reason why most of the C++
> ->  GUI developers are working on KDE rather than Gnome ;)
>
> The question: is that a good thing or a bad thing? :)
>
> <flamebait>Raster mumbles something about it being good</flamebait>

  *Grin* Well, that's one point of view of course. My own view is
that C++ coders should be able to do their thing and C programmers should
be able to do a different thing, with a different widget set, but that
their apps should be compatible as far as possible; i.e. I intend to add
support for .gtkrc's to Harmony, as well as support for whatever file
format is used for pixmap themes, whatever OLE-alike the Gnome people
eventually come up with and so on. The gulfs between what C++ coders
want and C programmers want is too great to be bridged by the one widget
set - C coders would probably rather die than write new general-use
widgets in C++ and C++ coders like myself would be infuriated every time
they have to write another 30 lines of code to duplicate features C++
provides with a couple of keywords / every time they try to use
comments prefaced with // / every time they try to put a variable
declaration after the first statement in a block. It's a shame, but there
you go, and having two widget sets able tor un in the same desktop
environment is better than having two incompatible widget sets.

	Jo