Re: gnome-libs won't compile

> ../gtk-xmhtml/.libs/libgtkxmhtml.so: undefined reference to
`uncompress'
> ../gtk-xmhtml/.libs/libgtkxmhtml.so: undefined reference to `compress'

I had this problem, and did a lot of messing around to find the
problem.  I finally found it when I did:

objdump --syms /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1.0.4

and lo and behold, no function definitions.  I downloaded the zlib104
file from ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/libs/compression/ and did a
make install and now everything works.

I'm using a 1.3.0 debian distribution.

Also, make sure that there isn't another broken version earlier in the
library search path.