Re: A try at GNOME MDI

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Jaka Mocnik wrote:
> > Would it be possible to write the code so that if MDI is turned off
> > then the sub-windows become independent toplevels?
> I guess it WOULD be possible, after all, your computer is (except for
> the limited memory) a Turing Machine equivalent ;). The question is
> HOW.

Wouldn't this abstraction be the same one needed for Jim Pick's "buffers"
idea? i.e., documents shouldn't directly handle their own windows and
menus (and perhaps dialogs). Emacs is like this, windows can become
frames, etc. It might be a very generally useful thing to do, and you
could use this MDI thing as a test case.

Just a thought...

Havoc Pennington