Initialization files for apps?

Hey all,

I know that there is a flurry of brainstorming about desktop configuration
files right now, but I would like to know if there is a standard way for an
application to store it's configuration data under GNOME.

I am in the process of developing an application for GNOME, and I'm
wondering if there is support for initialization files.  If so, what are the
guidelines for manipulating them?  Are there functions that are part of
GNOME that are specifically for dealing with initialization/configuration
files?  Or am I completely barking up the wrong tree?

How should I deal with persistant application settings?  I want this
application to be as GNOME-friendly as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

pdetagyos@worldnet.att.net
http://home.att.net/~pdetagyos/GUIDE
-- Check out this RAD environment for GNOME development!  Suggestions/Help
welcome