libgnomeui build problems ...

This is a follow up on the libgnomeui build problem I
posted last month ... it has also been mentioned in
the
gnome-libs-devel digest, Vol 1 #204.

Background:
- For the output of 'make' take a look at the
aforementioned Digest issue.

- There seems to be a problem when (
/libgnomeui/pixmaps/Makefile.am ) gdk-pixbuf-csource
tries to read its input ( a group of *.png files ).
The reason for this: apparently libpng is not included
in the ./configure script...

Current work:

I modified the 'configure.in' by adding Autoconf
macros that would load libpng and it's respective
functions for opening and reading *.png files. This
seemed to have worked and libpng support was included
in libgnomeui build.

Ongoing work:

For some reason, even though the libpng functions are
loaded. the build still fails in the same place -> It
can't read png files for the life of it !!! I'm trying
to figure out whether ( now ) the problem is in the
Makefile.am itself i.e .. probably the call to
gdk-pixbuf-csource and it's arguments it's incorrect
to start with...

Sources:

$ Look at the CVS source from gtk+ in /gtk/stock-icons
( the same thing is done there, but that one works
actually )

Any help, input, comments will be appreciated. I'm
sure somebody out there will figure out this sucker
and allow us all ( with png file disease ) to move and
start ( to obsesively ) compile something on top of
GNOME2 ...