Re: GEP 7 - icons and thumbnails - gnome_icon_loader

Hi Alex,

On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 13:07, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> Yeah. It's not a perfect name, but I'm not sure GnomeIconFinder is
> perfect either. Maybe GnomeIconTheme?

	GnomeIconTheme sounds good.

> There is also some code that already uses it (panel, nautilus), so it
> would be some work to rename it. I'm not against renaming it, but i'm not
> sure it's necessary.

	I'm happy to do the sed; and make it work for the sake of a better
name, since we're moving it anyway.

> You mean gnome-theme-parser.[ch]? It is implementation private.

	Yes; great.

> It's mostly a memory usage thing, coordinates are in icon coordinates, so
> unless you have 64kx64k icons we're all right. For SVG icons the
> coordinates are in a normalized 1000x1000 coordinate system that maps to
> the size of the rendered svg. (see the icon theme spec)

	Fine.

> Hmmm. That depends on how many icons use the DisplayName property. There
> certainly won't be many users of attachpoints and text embeding.

	Quite; which made me wonder about a lot of things. Particularly what
the Display name is for, and why we want it. I can understand it's use
perhaps in an icon selector, but then really lots of icons would want to
have names, which means a lot of extra files on disk, and stuff in
memory.

> > 	+ Unsure what theme->display_name, theme->comment are for, is it
> > 	  exposed, looks like they are read, stored, destroyed without
> >           use ? similarly, what is the GnomeIconData->display_name for ?
> > 	  and if neither of these are that useful - do we need the
> > 	  localization burden of "Yet another file to localise" :-) at
> > 	  least with XML files we have existing tools. So ... in
> > 	  summary:
>
> They are not used in the current code, but a icon theme chooser applet
> would use them.

	I'm really unclear about this; having spent a fair while optimising the
gnome-vfs mime parser; it seems a lot of time is spent parsing i18n
stuff which is all jammed into 1 file.

	Similarly in oaf, a load of time / space was wasted whacking great
chunks of i18n data around the place before we fixed it.

	I'm slightly concerned that we add this localized field, [ and the
localization capability ] to the files without any real need for it.
Particularly theme selectors will not be built into GnomeIconLoader -
and will almost certainly use a meta-theme bundle, making these mostly a
waste of space.

	Clearly - if we're aiming for global i18n coverage, we're looking at
upwards of 250 lines per DisplayName ;-) unlikely, but ...
gnome-vfs.keys has ~30 or so translations per key. It just seems a
non-ideal way for packaging, distribution and scalability to specify
things like this - especially when there is no pressing need for i18n
here I think.

> > 	+ is gnome_theme_file_get_locale_string neccessary ?

	So still not convinced about this really.

> gnome-icon-theme in gnome cvs.

	Took a poke at that, interesting - didn't improve my nautilus icon
situation but ... ;-)

	Regards,

		Michael.