Re: GEP 7 - icons and thumbnails

On 21 Sep 2002, James Willcox wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 09:14, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >
> > > I have put gep nr 7 in the gep cvs module. It concerns moving the new
> > > nautilus icon + thumbnailing code to a common library.
> > >
> > > Discussions about this gep should take place on
> > > gnome-libs-devel gnome org, and in fact the discussion was already taking
> > > place like normal before I wrote this silly gep.
> >
> > So, nobody is commenting on this, I'm blocking on the silly gep, jwillcox
> > is blocking on me moving the code into libgnomeui for panel recent
> > files changes, campd is blocking on jwillcox for the panel changes to do
> > recent files from nautilus.
> >
> > Basically, shit is not happening, and people get irritated. Can someone
> > PLEASE explain to me why doing a gep for thing like this is good?
> >

> Though I am waiting for the icon stuff to move into a common library,
> the major blocker for me right now is a decision from the usability guys
> as to where the recent-files menu should go (in the panel)....
>
> While I was adding the icon stuff to the recent-files code, I found that
> is was pretty easy to get the path to an icon for a given mime type, but
> it was fairly tedious to get an actual GdkPixbuf for it (you have to
> scale stuff, handle SVGs, etc).  Could we maybe add a function that will
> do this?

Exactly how you want to handle the icon resizing can be quite dependent on
the app. Nautilus for instance has lots of advanced cache/async handling
that just wouldn't fit in another kind of app. Handling svgs gives you
more library dependencies (you can use all the code without having to
worry about svgs if you don't enable them).

I'm not saying it's not possible to have some helper functions above
the current API, but it's not clear how they should work, and who would
use them.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a short-sighted bohemian vagrant from the 'hood. She's an artistic
foul-mouthed queen of the dead who inherited a spooky stately manor from her
late maiden aunt. They fight crime!