Re: GEP 7 - icons and thumbnails - gnome_icon_loader

On 30 Sep 2002, Michael Meeks wrote:

> > I did something a bit like this after the rename. There are no accessors
> > yet, but its slightly more abstracted out. Going fully abstract might be a
> > better idea though.
>
> 	Will you take a patch to fully abstract this ? I can't think of any
> good performance reason to have it like this.

Gladly.

> > > 	Somehow I'm not getting anything but the builtin icon for everything;
> > > it's certainly something stupid I'm doing though.
> >
> > Make sure you use the "gnome" icon theme, or a theme that inherits from
> > it.
>
> 	No idea how I do that; I just installed all the packages and assumed it
> would work without further intervention. I assumed the 'default' theme
> would have pretty icons - but perhaps that's just for want of artistic
> endeavour.

The "default" theme is an empty theme that is supposed to be used by third
party applications that want to install multiple-size themeable
application icons (cross-desktop compat thing). The "gnome" theme is the
default theme for gnome (listed in the .schemas file). I expect all icon
themes for Gnome will inherit from it and just override icons.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a witless Catholic senator on the run. She's an artistic impetuous Hell's
Angel who don't take no shit from nobody. They fight crime!