[Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>] help hook

Should have cc'd gnome-libs devel, sorry.

Also, on a similar note to the forwarded mail, GTK 1.3.5 adds a hook
to colorsel which requires the GConf->xsettings proxy daemon thingy.

If you haven't seen the xsettings spec on www.freedesktop.org, have a
look at that.

Basically we have some global GTK settings. These are taken from some
magic X properties maintained by the "xsettings manager daemon." For
GNOME, this daemon will maintain the canonical settings in GConf and
mirror changes to the settings in GConf onto the X properties, where
GTK/Qt/etc. can pick them up.

For the color selector, the hook installed by gnome_init() should
simply set the GConf key /desktop/gtk/color-palette to the color
palette string. The xsettings daemon will propagate this to all GTK apps.

When we standardize xsettings with other groups (e.g. double click
time), those settings would go in /desktop/standard/foo.

Anyway, this combined with style properties and GConf itself should
mean nuking gnome-preferences entirely if we haven't yet. e.g. all the
toolbar settings there in gnome-preferences are now part of the theme.

And of course we need to write the xsettings daemon; Owen already did
the X aspects of this, it just needs hooking to GConf basically.
Should probably be in the gnome-core package and hooked in to
gnome-session so that it's running all the time.

Havoc

--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

Owen suggested a function to add a global help hook:

 typedef void (* GtkHelpFunc) (GtkWidget *widget_to_help_with,
                               gpointer   user_data);

 gtk_install_help_hook (GtkHelpFunc func, gpointer user_data);

(Well, he suggested that it take a string name of the widget to help
on; the instance seems potentially useful to me though.)

This would be called for the "Help" buttons on GtkColorSelection,
GtkFileSelection, etc.

The help buttons for those widgets would be visible/invisible by
default according to whether there was a help hook installed.

The idea is that gnome_init() would add the help hook.

Objections?

Havoc