Re: [latina] Desktop = Mensa

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 07:01 -0400, Garcia, Rafael wrote:
> In Traupman's book, he specifically recommends Mensa for desktop; that or
> Mensa Scriptoria if it is necessary to be more specific..
>
> I agree it would be better to use "Mensa" for "Desktop" and reserve "Tabula" for "panel";
>
> The entry for mensa from Words is as follows:
>
> mensa, mensae  N (1st) F     1 1  F   [XXXBX]
> table; course, meal; banker's counter;

Smith's English-Latin Dictionary (first published 1870) allows 'mensa'
for 'desk' when used for the purpose of business. Also given are
'scrinium' (a desk for writing), and 'capsa' (not strictly a desk but a
box for holding books.) Mensa seems appropriate. Far be it from me to
contradict the illustrious Traupman. :)

> The entry for tabula is:
> tabula, tabulae  N (1st) F   [XXXAO]
> writing tablet (wax covered board);  records (pl.); document, deed, will; list;
> plank/board, flat piece of wood; door panel; counting/playing/notice board;
> picture, painting; wood panel for painting; metal/stone tablet/panel w/text;

For 'panel' it lists 'tympanum' (panel of a door), 'tabula', 'lacunar'.